The first piece of information you might want to know is what is dental occlusion? It’s simple. It’s your bite. More specifically- how your teeth meet when the jaw is closed.
Around 70% of children develop overbites. There are two types:
- A vertical overbite where the top teeth overlap the lower teeth
- A horizontal overbite where the top teeth protrude too much
There are two main contributors to this condition:
- Genetics– We inherit our teeth and jaw shape from both of our parent’s families. With all those contributing sources, it’s no wonder so many of us have overbites
- Habits– Thumb sucking, nail biting and tongue thrusting are some of the habits that can aggravate an overbite situation
A Case Study in Dental Occlusion
Orthodontists wanted no part of the man in the pictures on this page.
However, using x-rays and analyses specifically dedicated to bite occlusion, Dr. Sam Muslin, cosmetic dentist, developed a plan that treated the many areas causing difficulty with this young man’s deep overbite.
(Note: See more Cosmetic Dentistry Photos in Dr. Muslin’s patient approved, non-compensated photo gallery)
After he determined that the size of the jaw and chin were normal, the doctor’s developed the following treatment:
- Placing custom braces in the inside of his teeth. The braces were worn for one year on the inside and for one year on the outside of his teeth.
- Performing dental surgery on selected teeth to prevent potential concerns with eruptions of a canine tooth.
The photos show the dramatic results of Dr. Muslin’s work. The young man’s smile is symmetrical. His overbite is gone. The treatment had a stunning impact on his appearance.
Dr. Sam Muslin
It takes many years of experience to achieve the level of dentist artistry seen in the treatment of this patient. 26 years plus to be exact. That’s now long Dr. Muslin has been practicing and perfecting his craft.
Only the best, most tried and tested technology combined with years of field experience could have analyzed, developed and executed the treatment that produced these results.
Dr. Muslin’s experience with implants, porcelain crowns, veneers and restorations promises and delivers the highest quality care for his patients.
Contact Dr. Muslin and his staff at 310-829-6796 if you’re concerned about your overbite. You’ll receive finest in cosmetic dentistry practice.
Non-Surgical Mouth Reconstruction and Facelift Dentistry, Santa Monica, CA